Followers

Monday 2 March 2020

Left Overs From A Workshop

I recently had a wonderful day out at a Clare Charvill (My Creative Spirit) workshop, where I made an Album (will show you this at a later date). When I had finished the Album I had two gorgeous 12x12 pages left from the collection that I used. The collection was a new one from Stamperia called Sea World, the papers are fabulous especially if you like steampunk and industrial themes.  As soon as I saw the pages that I had left I knew that I wanted to make a canvas with them and could almost picture it in my mind before I started cutting into the papers.

First I fussy cut around the lady and the coral that she has in her hair then I cut around the Jellyfish and finally a collection of cogs and gears that was on one of the sheets. I also found that there was the word Industrial which I cut out and added to some black card.  I then played about with how I wanted my A3 canvas to look by moving the pieces about until I was happy with it.  I then got my paints out and picked some colours that were similar and reminded me of the sea and blended them across all of the canvas. Once dry I painted a rust technique around the corners and edges trying to make it look as though the rust was seeping into the sea. I achived this by first painting in black then a dark brown mixed with a little sharp sand, then with a mixture of copper and turquiose and a little gold colour, very carefully dry brushed over the black and brown. I then found a stencil which was a maidenhair fern, but reminded me of seaweed, so with some sparkle medium that I had on my shelf I stenciled through at the bottom of the canvas. Only when everything was dry did I go back a stick the pieces that I had cut out into place.


I love how the canvas turned out and after sticking the INDUSTRIAL word down I went over the letters with glossy accents.

If anyone is thinking that they would like to make one of these with the same papers that I have used. Be aware that there are two sizes to this paper collection. I used the 12x12size and I think that the 8x8 size would be too small for this project.

If you've stuck with this until the end, thank you for visiting and your kind comments which are always appreciated.

Sue

12 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning love Stamperia collection and this is so classy..xx

brenda said...

Loving the colours and the Steampunk lady sue, sounds like a great workshop.

B x

My Creative Spirit said...

Love it Sue, what a great use of those leftovers. :-) C

Joan said...

Oh how I love this! Beautiful papers and you have made a fabulous canvas with them


Joan

Aquarius said...

This is brilliant - great fussy cutting of the elements - plenty of patience required I guess. Beautiful!

Crafting Queen said...

Wow, this is beautiful. I just love the colours and textures. You must be so pleased.x

cotnob said...

This is stunning Sue, beautiful colours and great fussy cutting. It sounds like lots of hard work but well worth the effort, you must be delighted.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

gwen70 said...

So beautiful xx

Jules said...

Hi Sue

This is wonderful .. .. your fussy cutting is absolutely perfect!

Such beautiful papers to work with too. Love the finished look.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

Pat said...

Firstly what wonderful fussy cutting Sue, and the paper is indeed beautiful and looks perfect on this canvas. I love the colours. x

Mrs A. said...

This is beautiful Sue. I like the way that the edges seem to be seeping down the canvas. Hugs Mrs A.

Janice said...

Just beautiful Sue! Gorgeous colours and amazing cutting, well done you.
Janice x